Thursday, August 27, 2009

Courtship, the 3 Proposals, and the Big Day





Beau and I were each home for the holidays. We spoke at least once a day, everyday, for several hours. We talked about everything, and missed each other terribly. In January, Beau came out to California for a few days to spend some extra time together. We went to the Sacramento Zoo, and San Francisco. I knew he was a keeper because even my dad loved him. As we walked along the peer in San Francisco, I realized for the first time that I truly loved him, and I wanted to marry him.

We didn't see each other again until March, when I drove up to Oregon to spend some time getting to know his family. I drove all night after work to get there. We had so much fun together, and I thought that he would propose that weekend. We went to Silver Falls and hiked around all the waterfalls, drove up to the Portland Temple, went to the park and walked together, and we went to the beach. Beau never proposed that weekend, and I became a little concerned that he wasn't all that excited to get married.

The following Sunday, we were talking on the phone, when Beau said it would be funny to post that we were engaged on Facebook. I didn't find this funny because it would give everyone the wrong idea. After a few more minutes of teasing, I thought I would shut him up, and asked, "Are you asking me to marry you?" The phone went silent. The thought, "Oh, Crap, please don't propose over the phone," rushed through my head. He then asked, "Joanne, Will you marry me?" I went quiet. Darn he asked me over the phone. I answered, yes.

We decided to wait a week before telling anyone. I wanted to find the right way to tell my family, and didn't want to be rushed. The next morning Beau called me, and told me that he told his mom, and didn't think he could keep our secret. I spent all day trying to find the easiest way to tell my parents. My parents were going to be excited, but I knew they would also be concerned with me still in college, and no real money. I told my parents that night at dinner, and it was official. We were engaged.

I didn't get to see Beau again until the end of May. I went back up to school in April, and Beau had started a Service Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in March. We continued to talk over the phone everyday. At the time I was working for a company named Progrexion, and my coworkers hassled me everyday because I didn't have an engagement ring. They said that we weren't official until a ring had been purchased. Beau had gotten a subsitute while he ordere my ring, and brought the fake when we saw each other in May. His family was having a reunion in Montana for Memorial Day Weekend, and I drove up and met them. When we got to the hotel, as Beau wished me goodnight, he got down on one knee and proposed "officially" for the first time. He said beautiful words, and I was the proudest owner of the prettiest fake I had ever seen.

The final Proposal came a few weeks later when Beau came to Rexburg with the real ring. He showed up a day early to surprise me, and took me to the Ricks Gardens on the Brigham Young University - Idaho campus. He once again said beautiful words, and promised his love and affection for me. He then gave me the prettiest ring I have ever seen. He did such a great job picking out the ring. We were finally, truly officially engaged!

We were married on September 29, 2007 in the Oakland California Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment